Pittsburgh Mission Memoirs

January 27, 2014

Musings From my Personal Study

Little known fact: I prefer my scripture study in the evening. Peace and quiet, plenty of time (I believe that sacrificing sleep for The Lord is certainly a worthy thing to do).

In my reading tonight, I came across a few interesting verses.
2 Nephi 1:10 "...having a knowledge of the Earth, and all men, knowing the great and marvelous works of The Lord from the creation of the world; having power given them to do all things by faith..."

Hmm. What might that mean? Have we reached that point? Or is it a work in progress?

Lehi is a boss:

2 Nephi 1:21 "...arise from the dust, my sons, and be men, and be determined in one mind and one heart, united in all things..."

I can see football coaches quoting this, and having their players think that they just made it up. Also, I can see Laman and Lemuel thinking "Is Dad calling us wusses?" Yes, Laman and Lemuel. You are wusses.

One more, just for giggles:

2 Nephi 1:30 "And now Zoram i speak unto you: Behold, thou art the servant to Laban..."

Zoram: "Oh, come on, Lehi. I haven't seen Laban since I came out here with you guys ten years ago, and you are still calling me his servant. Hey, I wonder what ever happened to Laban."

Nephi: "Uhhhh..."

Zoram: "Oh, I bet the died when Babylon captured Jerusalem"

Nephi: "Yeah, that probably is what happened, huh? (Whew!)"

Cheers!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments ( Atom )

About Me

Get to know me.

Blog Archive

  • 2014 (6)
    • February (1)
    • January (5)
      • Musings From my Personal Study
      • My name is Slim. Just Slim.
      • Missionary Slim is Homeward Bound (Week 101 in Pen...
      • Missionary Slim's father made a mistake
      • Missionary Slim's penultimate post from his missio...
  • 2013 (52)
    • December (5)
    • November (4)
    • October (4)
    • September (5)
    • August (4)
    • July (5)
    • June (4)
    • May (4)
    • April (5)
    • March (4)
    • February (4)
    • January (4)
  • 2012 (52)
    • December (5)
    • November (5)
    • October (5)
    • September (4)
    • August (4)
    • July (6)
    • June (4)
    • May (4)
    • April (5)
    • March (4)
    • February (4)
    • January (2)
  • 2011 (3)
    • December (3)

Popular Posts

  • Missionary Slim Wishes you a very Happy Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Advent? Is Slim getting confused? (Week 95 in Pennsylvania, Week 6 in Wintersville, Ohio)
    Happy Turkey Holocaust Day, everyone! And happy Hanukkah. And Advent. All that jazz. We had a crazy week. We were walking around in downtow...
  • Missionary Slim and the Average Pennsylvanian (Week 3 in Pennsylvania, Week 3 in Lebanon, PA)
    Well, this past week started as usual - We had a few appointments already scheduled, a few plans made ahead of time. As Elder Nelson and I...
  • Missionary Slim encounters a new opportunity and an old one. Coincidence? I think not. (Week 86 in Pennsylvania, Week 10 in Dover, PA)
    We were walking down the street. It was a pleasant day; the sun was shining, and clouds glided by, creating shadows here and there occas...
  • Musings From my Personal Study
    Little known fact: I prefer my scripture study in the evening. Peace and quiet, plenty of time (I believe that sacrificing sleep for The Lor...
  • Missionary Slim meets someone who says that she is, "Mostly Catholic." (Week 63 in Pennsylvania, Week 4 in Somerset, PA)
    An interesting (or perhaps, very uninteresting) thing about Pennsylvania, and something that has been a big part of my mission so far: The...
  • Missionary Slim thinks " Who needs Punxsutawney Phil when I have Somerset Mandy ". (Week 64 in Pennsylvania, Week 5 in Somerset, PA)
    Service has been the theme of this week. Pennsylvania did a giant day of service on Saturday where we spent several hours raking and baggin...
  • Missionary Slim doesn't have to use his ruby slippers to get home, just the power of prayer and a tank of gas (Week 90 in Pennsylvania, Week 1 in Wintersville, Ohio)
    "Gee, Toto, I don't think we're in Pennsylvania anymore!" And isn't that the truth! After a wild turn of events, ...
  • Missionary Slim is learning Spanish? (Week 16 in Pennsylvania, Week 16 in Lebanon, PA)
    "ELDEEEEERS! What's happening?!?" "Nothing much, Hector. It's our P-Day." "Then you are coming over her...
  • Incredible Beginning (Week 1 in the MTC, Provo Utah)
    Here I am. The first week here at the MTC, and first week as a missionary. I don't even recognize myself anymore. It has been such an ...
  • Missionary Slim sees some amazing transformations (Week 38 in Pennsylvania, Week 2 in Washington, PA)
    Here comes another story about food. This time, our cuisine comes from the deep south - New Orleans. Sister Southern, a less-active membe...

© Pittsburgh Mission Memoirs